Friday, May 13, 2016

The Unsung & Unread Story









I have fallen in love with date-palm & toddy palms. This is not an accidental  love rather a process of knowing  palms  years  after years  while stepping in Paschimanchal.  During winter I saw date-palm’s softness -  Neera the drink which she gives has a magical charm refreshing both mind and heart. I love  gur-made from its sap. The smell of it is its own copy-right, nothing can substitute the sweet flavour.  I look at the crowns of date-palms in summer.. they stood with green-smile amidst heat . On the other, no plants are parallel to toddy in terms of highness and beauty. Toddy’s sap during summer or its ice-apple fruits are summer special items. However, both the plants are tied with the livelihood of marginalized people. Food,feed,fuel and crafts  from them signify their contribution. Many people are dependent on their sacrifice. The Sewli or Gachis  regard them  gifts of almighty.
In search of the depth and breadth of palms I had come across many who are close to the plants. Recently ,I found a person who is a strong devotee to date palms. He hails from Asannagar,Nadia. Although his name is Sukanta Malakar but people say he is Khejur Malakar.  The person has been  trying best to promote date-palms through his organization named Rural Initiatives.  Recently I met him and heard his experience. On way of discussion ,he told me a heart piercing story of gachis-the sap collectors. Let me share it today.
Prallahad and Hirnomoy Biswas are two brothers of a remote village in Asannagar. They are efficient tree climbers. Each of them can climb 70-80 date-trees a day. They collect sap and transform it to Jaggery in traditional way. Date-palm is the means of living of them. However, it was sometimes back, Prallahd fixed a date for wedding of his daughter.  The day was drawing nearer. On a morning Pralladhs wife appealed to him”  Oh..have you arranged money? Do u know what is required at this moment. I ‘ve mortgaged what ornaments I had..”
Prallahd replied “ Dear..don’t worry.. gur-price is now at high.. I ‘ve prepared fine gur this time..I will sell it ..my fifty pots will give at least 25-thousands,”
Next day, both brothers cart-loaded their gurs and reached the market travelling 3-kms.  They shouted for  sale.. No response came from buyers.. They waited for three hours nobody reached to their spot. Hirmoy smelt something hissy. He asked his bother to quote the price at 120 instead Rs150.. Again there was silence... They waited and  began to lower prices by Rs 10-20 in every two hours.  The last price they quoted 60 per kg.  Again fruitless.. no body came. It is about 4 p.m. they returned back with broken heart. Prallahd was upset ,he fell down when he reached home. Neighbourers surrounded his home. That time Sukanta Malakar reached there. He understood the plight. He agreed to bye the whole lot at a price of Rs.100.00 kg.
Pralhhad fell down at the feet of Malakar.. a saviour of date-palm gachis. I saw a drop of tears while Malakar was narrating the story. After the incident, Malakar started Rural Initiatives to rescue the the poor gachis. My hats off to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment